Adam Magazine on the Crazy Years

Looting, killing and raping -- by twisting their words they call it "empire"; and wherever they have created a wilderness they call it "peace" -- Tacitus

Wednesday, August 8

ANN LANDERS (washingtonpost.com) Dear Ann:
Recently, we invited three couples to dinner at 6 p.m. We worked hard cleaning the house and preparing a wonderful meal. My problem is this: two couples stayed until 11 p.m. I have arthritis, and after preparing the meal, I was stiff, sore and tired.
How do I let my friends know that it is a pleasure to have them in our home for a meal, but staying four hours afterward is much too long?
Southern Hostess


Dear SH:
I find that a subtle "Get the hell out, I'm going to bed" is a polite and effective way to tell your guests that party time is over. Believe me lady, you're not so fascinating that your friends aren't looking for a way to get out sometime between the pot roast and the angelfood cake.

-- Dr. Crankypants"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home