Adam Magazine on the Crazy Years

Looting, killing and raping -- by twisting their words they call it "empire"; and wherever they have created a wilderness they call it "peace" -- Tacitus

Friday, May 31

If I was British, i'd be pissed off too.
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | From flag-waver to republican I simply cannot understand how any self-respecting modern democracy is content not to be allowed to choose its head of state, but to settle for the random result of a hereditary lottery. It is a deep affront, per se, to the democratic ideals on which we supposedly pride ourselves. If the prince chose to run for the office to which he was born, fine by me. He might even win, in which case I'd grit my teeth and accept his legitimacy as the chosen symbol of my nation.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home