Adam Magazine on the Crazy Years

Looting, killing and raping -- by twisting their words they call it "empire"; and wherever they have created a wilderness they call it "peace" -- Tacitus

Thursday, August 30

Dr. Crankypants Returns!

The following is an actual letter to Slate Magazine's Dear Prudence

Dear Prudence,
I'm in my late 20s, and by choice I decided to remain a virgin until I got married. During and after college, I've had opportunities to sleep with women but declined because I felt so strongly about my values. For the past 18 months, I've been dating a wonderful woman, and we've talked seriously about marriage. We haven't had sex because I wanted to wait until we are married. I love her in every way, but the only hang-up I seem to have is that she slept with her boyfriend when she was in college. I get extremely jealous and angry whenever I think about it because I feel that since I waited, why couldn't she? She assures me, and I completely believe her, when she says she's devoted only to me and that her past relationship means absolutely nothing. Obviously, my reaction to her past sexual experience is ridiculous, but I can't help but feel in some way cheated or betrayed. Is this a normal reaction for virgins in this situation, and how do I get over it?

—Jealous Virgin

Dear Jealous Virgin:

You, sir, are an ass.

-- Dr. Crankypants


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home