Adam Magazine on the Crazy Years

Looting, killing and raping -- by twisting their words they call it "empire"; and wherever they have created a wilderness they call it "peace" -- Tacitus

Monday, February 24

Album of the Week part 5

This week: "More Fun in the New World" by X.
This artifact of the paranoid Reagan era is eerily relevant today. Check out these lyrics, from the peppy "I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts":
Both sides are right, but both sides murder
I give up -- why can't they?
I must not think bad thoughts...
The civil wars -- and the uncivilized wars
Conflagrations leap out of every poor furnace
The food cooks poorly and everyone goes hungry
From then on it's dog eat dog, dog eat body, body eat dog
I can't go down there, I can't understand it
I'm a no-good coward, an American too
A North American, that is, and I must not think bad thoughts
I'm guilty of murder of innocent men
Innocent woman and innocent children
Thousands of 'em
My planes, my guns, my money, my soldiers
My blood on my hands -- it's all my fault
I must not think bad thoughts...
Album of the Week is part of Mr. Joel's Music Page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home