Adam Magazine on the Crazy Years

Looting, killing and raping -- by twisting their words they call it "empire"; and wherever they have created a wilderness they call it "peace" -- Tacitus

Friday, July 20

Important Etiquette Tips from your pal Adam

Dear Miss Manners,


"I am an American living in Spain, and I recently had the opportunity to meet the king and queen. Because I am an American, I did not curtsy, but a friend told me that I should have since I am in their country. Who is correct?

Gentle Reader,
If your friend is also an American, you may want to suggest that it is time for home leave. Friendly as we are with Spain, we do not pay obeisance to foreign rulers. One-world enthusiasm is a wonderful thing, but let us hope that she doesn’t get carried away and join some other country’s army.


Bowing to royalty is something quite different from making a charming effort to use the ordinary etiquette customs of the country you are in and of being respectful of their leaders, which Miss Manners trusts that you were. It would be an acknowledgement that you are the king and queen’s subject, which you are not. Your nationality does not change when you travel.

Even if your friend does not know international protocol, you may be sure that the king and queen do. They do not expect Americans to greet them other than as Americans greet American leaders — in a respectful but upright manner."

I guess that also means we have to boo them if they show up at a baseball game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home