Adam Magazine on the Crazy Years

Looting, killing and raping -- by twisting their words they call it "empire"; and wherever they have created a wilderness they call it "peace" -- Tacitus

Sunday, July 8

Here are some things I don't understand the popularity of: NASCAR, Professional Wrestling, and Hip Hop. Its probably that I'm an effete eastern liberal snob. But its not like I don't embrace a lot of popular culture. I like South Park, Friends, and Star Wars. I've even read and enjoyed Tom Clancy, until he really stopped working at it.

So what are the hallmarks of the type of low culture that an intellectuals (or intellectual wannabe's like me) are allowed to enjoy? I'm going to think about it. Meanwhile read Dwight MacDonald's essay on "Masscult and Midcult" or this article on the Middlebrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home